I want to share a lovely idea with you that I tried yesterday. If you have canned beans and rice (um, hello, staple food!) in your pantry, frozen corn in your freezer, avocados on your kitchen counter, and other burrito-like fixings, like tomato and cilantro and stuff, YOU'RE IN LUCK!
And if you don't... YOU'RE STILL IN LUCK! Because they are all ingredients that are easy to find. Score!!!
And.. come on, people... burrito bowls. Is that not good enough of a reason?
This is a recipe sketch. It's a very versatile kind of recipe, the kind where you can add things or take away things. But.. I highly recommend you try it like this:
Nat's Burrito Bowl Idea
* 2 cups Long-grain white rice (or other rice variety), cooked
* 1 can of your favorite beans, such as black or pinto
* salt, garlic powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, chile (to season beans)
* unlimited amounts of frozen sweet corn, thawed
* pico de gallo (bought or homemade)
* guacamole (bought or homemade)
* sour cream (I used tofutti with some lemon juice added to it)
* Other delicious add-ons of choice, such as Cholula hot sauce and/or hemp seeds
1) While the rice cooks, heat up the canned beans and add the seasonings. Optional: add some chile for a nice, flavorful kick.
2) Make your own pico de gallo by dicing tomatoes, 1-2 jalapeños - with some seeds if you want spice -, mincing 1 clove of garlic, squeezing a lemon, chopping cilantro, and adding some salt. OR if you're in a pinch, buy some already made and add a little extra cilantro to it.
3) Easiest guac topping ever. Ready? Avocado, lemon, salt. Done. Put it on toast, dip things in it, eat with a spoon - but don't, because you need it for this recipe.
4) Serve some rice in a bowl, add the beans on top, as much corn as you want, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and drizzle some hot sauce over the top if desired. Top with hemp seeds too. Why? Because hemp seeds.
For me, this made about 3 servings plus a little extra. So, can potentially feed about 3 people with the amount of rice and beans I posted. But honestly, you can make as much as you want. It's the type of recipe that is perfect for feeding the family or your hungry friends - or both!
Enjoy. Please give this idea a try and let me know what you think!
Much love! I will be posting more recipes in the future. Feels good to be back here again. :)