Saturday, January 11, 2014

Nut Milk + Some Current Thoughts about Health..

Wow, has it been a crazy week or what??

I had the fullest intentions of posting earlier this week, but I literally had no extra time to do so. This has probably been, musically, one of the busiest weeks of my life (outside of Christmas, of course - Musicians + Christmas = no free time). 14+ hours of rehearsal for Fiddler on the Roof, and those hours don't include the 6 hours I spend every week singing in university choir or the three small jobs I'm currently working. Then there were the assignments. The bad part? Staying up until 3:00 am trying to finish reading a short story so that I could write a couple pages about it and turn it in online to my Humanities professors (I might write more about that author/short story and that class later. It's pretty awesome). The good part? The material in my assignments for this quarter is simply amazing! Literature homework + philosophies of health = best homework ever! I just wish I had more time to look at the stuff so that I could actually enjoy it more.

Anyhow.. I just need to make sure I keep my health a priority (which I sometimes struggle to do).

Currently, in my Dimensions of Health class, my professor is challenging his students to ask themselves what is their health philosophy (he's also asking us to write an essay about it, but let's not talk about that right now).

My health philosophy is constantly changing, but there are some things that don't change:

1) Truly, optimal wellness comes through all five dimensions of health: physical, emotional, intellectual, environmental, and spiritual. The top three on my list are emotional, physical, and spiritual. 
2) It's better to be healthy in general and have a mistake here and there than to be SUPER healthy and very unhappy. However, working for better health should always be the goal. 
3) God has made people capable of much more than they realize. 

Just felt like including that in here. :)

My new year's resolution is to work my way to a healthier lifestyle - and to have fun doing it. I don't want to feel stressed out or deprived all of the time, so I'm taking the steps slower this time. And this time, I won't be so hard on myself. Besides, A happy mind feeds a healthy body, a healthy body is a happy body, and a happy body feeds the happy mind!

That's why I made me some homemade nut milk!


People, if you were ever afraid of making nut milk, fear no more!!!! It is so much easier than I expected - and I didn't even follow a recipe!! 

I had some almonds, and I had some water. I added a little sweetness and cinnamon spice in there, blended it up, and curiously poured it through a cheesecloth.


It looks yellow because of the lighting, but it was a gorgeous color, trust me. 

Then I milked my very first vegan cow!! ;)


It was quite an experience, and the milk tasted amazing. I even soaked some raw vegan muesli with it overnight. Yep, pretty much the most amazing breakfast ever (besides fruit, of course). 


Here's a loose recipe for you to try! So far, this one is my favorite.


Basic Vanilla Almond Milk

Fills a decent sized mason jar (I believe it was a 32 oz.)

Ingredients:
* 4 cups water
* 1 cup almonds 
* 1/4 cup coconut palm sugar (more if you want a sweeter milk)
* 1 Tbsp. alcohol free vanilla
* pinch of cinnamon (preferably freshly ground)

Directions:
1) Blend all ingredients until smooth.
2) Grab a medium large mixing bowl and a cheesecloth. Lay the cheesecloth over the mixing bowl.
3) Pour 1/3 the milk mixture into the cheesecloth, grab the corners and then start squeezing. While squeezing with one hand, make sure the other hand keeps the cheesecloth closed (or else milk will fly everywhere - this happened to me). When finished squeezing, empty out the almond pulp into a separate bowl for later use in other recipes. 
4) Continue step #3 until all the milk has been squeezed out. 
5) Pour finished product into a mason jar or milk bottle and enjoy. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I want to start making more nut milks, homemade baked goods, and maybe I'll even try my hand at some vegan cheese. I think that would be pretty cool! :)

Enjoy the rest of this weekend. Oh, and try making nut milk - it's so much fun!

Much love,

~ Natalyn










No comments:

Post a Comment