Thursday, January 2, 2014

Green Smoothie Goodness

When I think of seasonal winter produce, the first fruits and veggies that come to mind are oranges, avocados, winter squashes, and dark leafy greens. Especially citrus and greens. 

When I walked out to my backyard the other day, I saw the beautiful rainbow chard and kale with their vibrant green colors and I knew I had to use them in my green smoothie. 


The parsley in my mom's garden has been a little lonely these days, so I decided to include a little of that too. I mean, why not? I've heard it's super detoxing. 

Tip: If you would like to improve your green smoothie's texture, add half a frozen banana - that should do the trick. 
Ok, truthfully, I was a bit wary of adding the parsley to the smoothie, but I had hope that the mangos and orange juice would help even out the flavors of sweet, savory, and earthy. 

I also added a small piece of frozen pineapple, and I'm sure glad I did. It gave such a nice flavor, and of course it paired great with the mango and orange. 


The result? Success! It tasted healthy, but in a refreshing, delicious way. It's a great way to include more greens in your diet - that's what I'm trying to do, since I'm a fruit lover. 


So if you're interested, here's the recipe:


Glorious Green Smoothie
Tropical fruits, parsley, and winter greens

Serves 2 large glasses

Ingredients:
* 4 small leaves of kale
* 4 larger leaves of rainbow chard
* large handful of organic baby spinach 
*2 small sprigs of parsley
* Flesh of 1/2 large mango
* 1/2 frozen banana
* small piece of frozen pineapple
* 1 cup fresh squeezed orange juice

Directions:
1) Tear the greens into small pieces and add to blender. Add other ingredients.
2) Blend until smooth and creamy. If not using a Vitamix or other high-speed blender, you may need to chop up the frozen fruit into smaller pieces. 
3) Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately!

~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~~ 

I hope you enjoy the green smoothie. It's a great way to start the new year! :)

Much love,

~ Natalyn



No comments:

Post a Comment