Friday, September 6, 2013

Overnight Spring Rolls

Today's recipe is fun. It's simple. It's FRESH. Packed with marinated tofu and mushrooms, raw crunchy vegetables, and a kiss of basil.

I'm going to call these:

Simple Overnight Spring Rolls


I was so excited when I was prepping the ingredients last night. See, I was craving crunchy, savory, and fresh - of course, spring rolls were the first thing to pop in my mind. I decided that I wanted to make spring rolls with tofu, mushrooms, basil, and other fresh (and leftover) veggies I had on hand. To take it to the next level, I decided to marinate the tofu and mushrooms in a slightly sweet and VERY savory sesame soy sauce with a hint with garlic and ginger. 



So I did, and then retreated upstairs and went to bed with visions of sugar plums overnight spring rolls dancing in my head (not Christmas yet? Just me? Whoops). 

The next morning, I did my morning routines and then marched downstairs. I threw that marinated goodness in a frying pan with a drizzle of sesame oil and got to work prepping the veggies.

God is the best chef! Look at this pure, wholesome goodness!!!
I then started my assembly line...


And then rolled up my spring rolls!


Success? I'm thinking YES!


Overnight Spring Rolls 
(with Marinated Tofu, Carrot Strips and Fresh Basil)

Serves 8 Spring Rolls 

Ingredients:
* 3/4 block extra firm tofu, drained
* 10-12 white (or baby bella) mushrooms, sliced
* 1/8 cup low sodium soy sauce 
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* small knob ginger, minced
* 5-6 drops stevia (or 1 tsp. preferred sweetener)
* scant tsp. sesame oil

* 8-10 round rice paper wrappers, dry (can find at any asian market)
* 2 long sprigs fresh basil
* 5-6 leaves butter lettuce, torn into small, bite-sized pieces
* carrot, julienned (or peeled into strips)
* large handful sweet onion chive (or green onion, julienned)
Directions:
1) Chop tofu into somewhat thin, fingerlike strips. Chop mushrooms.
2) Place tofu and mushrooms in a tupperware, and add soy sauce, garlic, ginger, stevia, and sesame oil.
3) Close tupperware and give it a good shake. 
4) Let mixture marinate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
5) Throw entire mixture in a wok or frying pan and saute for 5-8 minutes (or more, if desired). Remove from heat.
6) Heat up some water while prepping fresh ingredients.
7) Pour very warm water on a large plate, and immerse rice paper for 5 seconds. Flip to other side and immerse for another 5 seconds. Do this until rice paper starts getting softer and the pattern is slightly fading away. 
8) Place rice paper on a flat plate and add ingredients. I put a small handful of the tofu/mushroom mixture, 4 carrot strips, a fair amount of butter lettuce, a sprinkle of fresh chopped basil, and 4 or 5 little strings of sweet onion chive. 
9) To close spring roll, fold like a burrito. 
10) Place on serving dish of choice and make the rest of the spring rolls (careful not to put them too close to each other - they stick!).
11) Bon appetit! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~  ~ ~~ 

I hope you enjoy those spring rolls - they are so simple and easy to make, and will go PERFECTLY with practically any asian dipping sauce. I personally enjoyed them without any sauce and they were so full of flavor.

Have a great weekend!! 

Much love,

~ Natalyn









No comments:

Post a Comment