Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Tropical-Drink-Inspired GREEN Smoothie... + Other Stuff

Yes siree, I just made me one fantastic green smoothie.



Looks like your ordinary green smoothie, but this smoothie is a green FRUIT smoothie, Piña Colada Style.

Now listen, health fanatics (don't worry, I'm one too): If you want to add more greens to this smoothie, it'll still taste great. But the reason I only used three collard leaves for this smoothie (and lots of fruit, some honey, and stevia) is simply because one of my big passions is to introduce healthy eating to people who have a desire to live a healthier lifestyle. We need to remember that at the beginning of our journey of living healthier, our taste buds were different too - I mean, come on, many of us have been there at one point or another in our lives. This was a time where pizza was my broccoli, and Coke, Pepsi and milk was my water... where greens tasted like straight-up dirt, fruit tasted like a breakfast topping and not dessert, and where sugary dessert was the only highlight of our day and the hell of the next day when we stepped on the scale. I want to show these people that it's normal to feel this way at first about healthy eating, and that it does change your tastebuds over time (I know some of you are reading this, and perhaps agree with me that you are at this part of your life right now). I write this paragraph not to ridicule or point out people who are not living a healthy lifestyle. I'm not even saying that the raw or vegan lifestyle is the only way to be a healthy person - it's not the only way. I'm writing this to let you people know that I understand. I, at one point in my life, have gone through this tough stage. It isn't easy. You want to love health, but the opposite of it just tastes so good. I'm here to tell you (and to remind those who have already made the tough transition) that transitioning to a healthier lifestyle is tough, but CAN be better than you think. 

Have I plant-ranted enough?? ;) Hopefully I was making some sense.

Anyway, in all honesty, this recipe is for anyone who wants to enjoy a different take on America's favorite pineapple coconut smoothie.

Enjoy!



Piña Colada Green Fruit Smoothie

Serves 1-2

Ingredients:
* 7-8 medium to large chunks of frozen pineapple 
* 3 big collard leaves, most of stems removed (optional step)
* 1 cup coconut water
* 2 big spoonfuls coconut cream (from can)
* 2 big spoonfuls raw honey 
* 5-6 drops liquid stevia (optional, for extra sweetness)
Directions:
1) Place all ingredients in vitamix and blend until smooth and creamy (may take a little while). 
2) Serve immediately and enjoy!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

I didn't announce this, but I have another recipe I've decided to share.


Simple Healthy Banana Pancake Blinis

Serves 1 hungry person

Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup oat flour
* 1/8 cup buckwheat flour
* 1 ripe banana
* 2 Tbsp. full fat coconut milk
* 1 Tbsp. sweetener of choice (raw honey is great)
* 1/4 tsp. baking powder
* 1/4 tsp. coconut vinegar (or ACV)

* Oil or butter (I used Earth Balance vegan spread)

Optional Garnishes and Spreads:
* Bananas
* Hemp seeds
* Coconut cream
* Peanut Butter
* Raw Honey

Directions:
1) In a small mixing bowl, combine oat and buckwheat flour. Set aside. 
2) In vitamix blender or food processor, combine banana, coconut milk, and sweetener until slightly chunky or completely creamy - whichever you prefer.
3) Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, and then add baking powder and vinegar. 
4) Take out a large skillet, and turn on the heat. KEEP AT VERY LOW HEAT (as in, on the 2 or on the low setting). This prevents oil/butter from burning.
5) When pan is ready, add a small dab of oil/butter and let it sizzle on there for a few seconds. Then pour small circles into the pan. Make sure there's room for flipping.
6) Wait for pancake blini to start bubbling from the top, and then flip to other side and wait for at least 20 good seconds. Flip quickly a couple more times, and then transfer to a plate.
7) Continue until all pancake batter is used. 
8) Serve with bananas, hemp seeds, coconut cream, peanut butter, and raw honey!! Delish!

RECIPE NOTES:
1) This can be a messy recipe.
2) This can take a little longer than the average breakfast, unless you have a very large skillet.
3) When combining wet ingredients in food processor, chunky texture tastes great in the pancakes. However, cooking time with chunky wet ingredients may be different from pancakes made with completely blended wet ingredients.
4) Do not be afraid if skillet pan looks horrible after making pancakes. Just let soak in water. That should help. :)
5) There is a different flavor and texture to these pancakes. Enjoy the variety of healthy food!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Okie dokie, well that's pretty much it. I hope you enjoy the recipes, especially that green smoothie!! Mmmmm. 

Peace, love, and smoothies.

Much love,

~ Natalyn






No comments:

Post a Comment