Monday, July 1, 2013

A Delicious Ice Cream Pie + My Second Attempt at Kale Chips

Raw Ice Cream Pie!

Wait, did you hear me right?

Yes you did!


A perfect slice of ... 

Ready for this? 

Creamy Peach Sorbet Pie Swirled with Banana Coconut Cream On an Almond Date Crust. Drizzled with Raw MANGO Honey.

Long title. Good food. 

Don't worry, by the end of this post, I'll figure out a way to condense that title.

Recipe notes: If you would like to use a honey other than mango, no worries. It's still going to taste great.
TO MY AWESOME VEGANS: Yes, this recipe does have honey. Though I strongly believe in a plant-strong diet, I do LOVE my honey and have not yet found enough reason to give it up - it's medicinal, it's sweet, and as far as I know it's raw and from a local, cruelty-free source. 
If you do not want to use honey in this recipe, feel free to use date paste or maple syrup instead. Who knows? It might taste even more delicious!

Ok, back to business. Here's how the pie looked like last night when I was making it:


Then I decided to get even fancier and add honey and chopped banana. 

Let's fast forward to today's breakfast: 

Evidence of my encounter with the finished product

It's not super duper sweet, but it's still fantastic. No joke, it tastes like a peach-banana coconut smoothie with crumbly almond-date goodness on both the top and bottom. 

I guess the only way to experience the yumminess 100% is to make this yourself!

Onward to the recipe, and yes, with a simpler title this time:


Peach Banana Coconut Smoothie Pie (with Almond Date Crust)

Makes one 9 inch. pie. Serves 8-10 people... or less if I'm around. ;)

Crust Ingredients:
* 2 cups almonds
* 8 medjool dates (not soaked)
* 1-2 Tbsp. raw honey
* 4-5 pinches salt
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Banana Coconut Cream Ingredients:
* 2 frozen bananas
* 1 cup thick coconut cream (click the link and add less liquid than the recipe asks. Should make 1 cup when you do this)
* 10-12 drops stevia
* pinch salt
Peach Sorbet Ingredients:
* 2-3 cups frozen peach slices
* 2-4 dates (depending on how sweet you desire)
* 2-4 spoonfuls banana coconut cream
Garnish:
* Reserved almond-date crust
* 1 organic banana, chopped
* Local raw honey drizzle

Directions:
1) First, make the crust in the food processor. Pulse the almonds a couple times, then add remaining ingredients. Mix until crumbly, but sticks together when you press with your fingers. 
2) Reserve about 1/4 cup of crust for the topping (crumble). Press remaining crust into the bottom of a 9" springform pan. Set aside (freeze perhaps).
3) Make banana coconut cream in the vitamix, spoon into bowl, set aside.
4) Make peach sorbet in the vitamix, using tamper. Taste it (delicious on its own), and set aside. 
To Assemble:
5) Spoon a small layer of banana coconut cream over the crust, then add all of the peach sorbet.
6) Swirl remaining banana coconut cream on the peach sorbet pie, then, using a knife or chopstick, begin to swirl designs on the pie. Then add reserved crumble and banana slices. Optional but recommended: drizzle honey over the top as well. 
7) Freeze pie in the springform pan overnight or for at least 10 hours. 
8) Remove pie from springform and transfer to a plate. 
9) Let thaw for 15-20 minutes (if you can wait that long!), then you can drizzle more honey if you desire. 
10) CUT A SLICE AND EAT IT UP! But do share, unless you want a food coma.
11) Stores very well in the freezer. For how long? Who knows? It didn't last very long in my house.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I hope you enjoy that recipe. It sure made my sister happy. If she went crazy with it, you will most likely love it too! 


So, if you're wondering what I've been cooking up lately, I'm gonna be honest with you. Right now, my favorite foods seem to be kale, honey, organic dijon mustard, coconut cream, bananas, and almonds. Oh, and cacao. I'm not supposed to be eating cacao, but sometimes I let myself have it for a treat because I just love it with kale (I know, I'm a weirdo). 

I love kale chips. You know, those super expensive $6 bags of raw kale chips that last a day or two days if you're lucky? 

My favorite used to be the cheesy variety, but my new favorite as of late is this unique flavor:


SOOO good. Slightly sweet. Super chocolate-y. 

Alas, kale chips are WAY too expensive for a college student to be buying 24/7. 

So I settled with a new plan to get my crunchy greens: making them myself.



And I did. I made those kale chips... with almond meal, mustard, and honey. Four ingredients total. And let me tell you, these were not too shabby! I was this close to sharing the recipe with you tonight, but I decided I would like to get much more accurate measurements before I post. 

Unbaked kale chips
If you have never tried kale chips before, I'll tell you right now that you might love them, you might like them, or you may just HATE them. But I encourage you not to give up until you've tried all different flavors out there, homemade or not. There's sweet kale chips, hibiscus and pink peppercorn, dijon mustard, nacho cheese, sundried tomato, Thai-style, and much more. The possibilities are endless. 

So keep calm. Eat kale chips. They're good for you. Tasty. Crunchy...

Now that my sentences are starting to show the symptoms of a plant rant, I think I'm going to say goodnight to the blogosphere. Hopefully I'll get some shut-eye. That cacao makes it harder for me to sleep - gosh dangit, why does it have to taste so good with kale???? 

Peace, love... and kale. 

Much love,

~ Natalyn [Kale] Rodriguez  ;)  








No comments:

Post a Comment