Friday, June 14, 2013

Raw Blizzard Awesomeness + my jackfruit adventure!

Hey everyone! Happy friday! :)

As of yesterday afternoon, I'm officially a sophomore in college. *fist pump*

So I celebrated.


What is that, you ask? 

Oh, nothing too fancy. Just a simple RAW BANANA DATE BLIZZARD WITH PEANUT BUTTER SWIRL AND COCONUT CREAM!!!!!

Did I mention I topped this amazing creation with some cacao powder? No, I don't think I mentioned that yet, did I? You know what that means, right? Pure banana-date-coconut-peanutbutter-chocolate goodness in a glass, that's what it means!


I guess I should give you the recipe before you kill me through the screen right now. 

Well actually, one more thing before I share this recipe. I want to thank my sister for introducing me to the magical world one enters through the marriage of frozen bananas and sweet medjool dates. I was indeed an unbeliever until I finally took her advice and made this epic raw blizzard. 

In my personal opinion, this delightful thing is reminiscent of all that sweet creamy goodness from places like Dairy Queen, Mcdonalds, and Wendy's, except it's healthier and it's vegan and it embraces beautiful, wholesome flavors and textures. Oh, and did I mention it's practically guilt free?? 

Ok, ok, I'm sorry, I did say I would give you the recipe before I continued talking. *dodges your fist* 


Raw Banana Date Peanut Butter Blizzard with Coconut Cream

Serves 1-2 (I personally don't recommend sharing)

Ingredients
* 2-3 frozen bananas (about 2 cups frozen banana chunks)
* Young thai coconut water (little by little, as needed)
* Large piece of young thai coconut meat 
* 2-3 large medjool dates
Swirl and Garnish
* Healthy sweet n' salty peanut butter of choice
* whipped coconut cream (this blogger explains how to make it - very easy)
* cacao powder
Directions
1) In vitamix blender or food processor, combine frozen bananas, coconut water, and coconut meat and pulse/blend until thoroughly combined.
2) Add dates and pulse until mostly combined or until date chunks are at desired size. 
3) Grab a tall glass. Stick knife into peanut butter jar, then swirl peanut butter around the inside of the glass in a somewhat diagonal fashion. 
4) Spoon the banana-coconut-date ice cream into the decorated glass, then top with whipped coconut cream and a sprinkle of cacao powder. 
5) Eat it up!!! 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I think you guys will LOVE this recipe. :)

Ok, now on to other subjects. 

JACKFRUIT!


Perhaps you remember that picture from my previous post and were probably thinking okayyyyy, Natalyn is the most random person in the blogosphere. Of course, you have good reason - I am pretty random at times - but I really did eat a jackfruit yesterday! 

I was so stoked when I held it in my arms for the first time. It was a gift. One of my mom's piano students and his parents brought this big, beautiful jackfruit into the house. My jaw dropped and they got to experience one of my plant rants first hand. I hugged that student, and I hugged his mom, and his dad, and his older brother. Then my eyes glazed over with bliss as I started dancing around and saying how long I've had to wait for a jackfruit and how I had reached a new milestone in my life and yada yada yada. I don't even remember half the stuff I said. I was just downright happy! 

Poor kids. They probably thought I was a weirdo. 


Ok, that pic is indeed slightly creepy. Oh, by the way, I'm sporting the trash bag in this pic because the jackfruit is notorious for its white sap that sticks on anything and everything. It doesn't come off clothes, and the only way to get it off your hands is with a little oil. I didn't want to mess with.. that mess. 

Anyway, I got too excited and didn't really know how to cut it, so my mom took over. Thankfully, she did a much better job than me. 


I mean, look at it! It's gorgeous!


You eat the yellow pods that hold the seeds. And apparently the seeds are edible as well once you boil or roast them (future blog post on that, perhaps). 

Oh, and here's a fun fact: Juicy fruit gum flavor is actually derived from the jackfruit. Bet you didn't know that! 

And yes, jackfruit tastes pretty much like juicy fruit gum. It's fantastic. Like candy. 


Healthy candy. 

Ok, well, I need to go downstairs now and clean the mess in the kitchen (tried making a big ginger cookie earlier... that didn't go so well). 

Much love and hugs! I hope you all enjoy the epic raw blizzard recipe!

~ Natalyn















No comments:

Post a Comment