Thursday, June 27, 2013

My New Spiralizer + Mexican Cold "Chocolate"

Hey y'all!

It's been quite a while. In case you were wondering what took me so long to actually post another recipe, I've been super busy working for the last two weeks. The project is coming to a close, and though I feel excited to finish, I also feel bittersweet because I'm going to miss the young people I worked with.

Now for the exciting recipes! So guess what I FINALLY decided to buy on Amazon?


Woohoo! A spiralizer! So to celebrate, I made me some noodles. These were "test run" noodles, and they turned out pretty good, but the sauce was too watery. I want to fix it before I post it on here. In the meanwhile, you can enjoy this beautiful photo. ;)


Ok, now here's a recipe that I will be sharing today. 

Ready for this??? 

On a HOT summer day in Southern California, what would be better than a piping hot mug of Mexican hot chocolate?

...


... An icy cold glass of Mexican COLD chocolate straight out of your Vitamix!

This recipe doesn't taste 100% like chocolate.. well, because it doesn't use real chocolate. It uses carob. If you're not a fan of carob, feel free to use the real thing (cacao powder), but be sure to put a little less at first. If it needs more, add it. 

That being said, if you love the idea of a sweet, cold refreshment that is reminiscent of a favorite chocolate drink, you will LOVE this recipe. 

Cold "chocolate" mixing in the vitamix

... And if you don't, then.. um.. then I didn't make it! ;)


Raw Mexican Cold Chocolate (or Carob)

Serves 2-4 people

Ingredients
* 3 cups original almond milk (slightly sweetened)
* 2 generous Tbsp. carob powder 
* 4 medjool dates
* 4 shakes cinnamon
* 1/4 cup soaked raw cashews
* pinch of salt (optional)
Directions
1) Soak cashews (30 min.) and dates (if not using vitamix) and then add to the blender.
2) Add all remaining ingredients to your vitamix and blend until thoroughly combined and very creamy. 
3) Enjoy nice and cold. Mmmmmmm.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~  ~ 

Lately, I've found that I do better without much cacao in my life. I do miss it sometimes, but I don't miss the sleep issues I would get with all of that caffeine. I mean, I still use cacao, I just use it way less. I use it as a garnish on desserts or only in breakfast foods (which usually don't call for cacao). Now that I have been substituting carob for cacao, I've been sleeping better, plus I also have had better digestion! Can you believe it? Carob must be some type of super food too!

Ok, well, I hope all of you enjoy the recipe. Talk to you soon!

Much love and hugs!

~ Natalyn











No comments:

Post a Comment