Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Successful Mother's Day Dinner!

Ok, so actually, it was lunch time, not dinner, but dinner sounds SO much fancier. I guess since I made raw vegan mini burritos I should be fancy and call it "la cena para el dia de las madres" (dinner for mother's day).

Ok, so first off, photos:

I printed a photo of my mom, my sister, and myself and put it in a lovely frame I found while shopping the other day.

Those amazing vegan, gluten free sweet potato date brownies you see there... are... AMAZING. Deliciously Ella, you are my new best friend!


Here is a shot of the whole table:


It was a very simple, light looking meal, but my parents loved it and both admitted they were quite full after eating it.

Gah!! I don't know where to start!! Ok, beverage. Let's start with the tea I made. Very simple, four ingredients: a ton of fresh peppermint leaves, 4-5 leaves of fresh sage, fresh strawberries, and raw buckwheat honey (or other honey/sweetener of choice).


Strawberry Sage Peppermint Tea

Serves 3-5

Ingredients:
* a whole kettle full of boiling water
* LOTS of fresh peppermint, both the leaves and the stems
* 4-5 leaves fresh sage (can add more if desired)

* 4-5 fresh strawberries, chopped
* raw buckwheat honey

Directions:
1) Add peppermint and sage to hot water and let steep for at least 10 minutes.
2) Add ice or let it become room temperature by itself.
3) Pour tea into desired serving pitcher. Put the leaves you steeped into the pitcher. Mix, add raw buckwheat honey, mix again. Add ice if desired, and then add fresh chopped strawberries. 
4) Let the strawberries steep in the tea for as long as you can before your guests arrive. If you're doing this for yourself, just let it sit for twenty minutes. 

~~~

And make sure you leave the strawberries in there. They look so pretty! 

... :D

Ok, now for the recipe you've been waiting for: BURRITOS!!!


Yeah, yeah, I know. Their formal definition is "wraps" because there's no tortilla, therefore they're not actually "burritos", but in the raw food community, these are most definitely burritos. Therefore, I shall be a typical raw food enthusiast and name them "Mini Chard Burritos with Spanish Rice, Walnut Meat, and Lowfat Guacamole!"

Serves 10 mini chard burritos, which serves 2-4 people (with other side dishes such as bread and salad)

I will divide the recipe up into three recipes, because apparently (according to both of my parents) every component of the burrito tastes so good that it can be eaten separately. Especially the rice.

Oh, and everything will be made with a food processor. Very simple. Minimal dishwashing. ;)

The rice is what you will make first. The base is a starchy root that I'm seriously falling in LOVE with:

Sweet potato (organic, from Trader Joes)! Yes, that is me when I was like six years old or something. I was a chubby little girl, always smiling and happy-go-lucky. I covered my poor friend next to me with the sweet potato. Whoops. :/ 
The only un-raw ingredients in here are jumbo spanish green olives and Cholula sauce, so if you don't want to use these then feel free to use a pinch of cayenne and some raw vegan olives (can be found online in places like amazon.com or the Raw Food World).


Ok, onward to the first recipe: raw sweet potato spanish "rice"


Raw Sweet Potato Spanish "Rice"

Serves 1-3 persons as a side, 
OR
Fits into 10 mini chard burritos

Ingredients:
* 1 medium sweet potato, chopped
* 2 large Spanish green olives, minced
* 4 cherry tomatoes OR 1/4 cup chopped tomato
* 1/2 tsp. + a pinch ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp. Cholula sauce
* small handful cilantro, minced
* 1/4 cup chopped green onions, minced
* a couple drops lemon (totally optional) 
Directions:
1) In food processor, pulse the sweet potato until it's chopped into small little "rice" pieces. 
2) Add remaining ingredients and pulse some more until everything is well distributed.
3) Mixture should resemble rice and should taste very flavorful. Set aside in a bowl.

~~~~~~

The next step is to make your walnut "meat". DO NOT wash the food processor - a little bit of the rice flavor on the "meat" tastes quite amazing. 

I know it doesn't look appetizing, but I promise you, it tastes AMAZING and will look beautiful once inside the burrito. 

Spanish-style Walnut "Meat"

Fits into 10 mini chard burritos

Ingredients:
* very large handful of walnuts
* 1/2 of a date, chopped
* 1/2 tsp. cumin
* 1/2 tsp. Cholula sauce
* 1-2 Tbsp. green onion
* 1/2 clove garlic, minced
* 1 large Spanish green olive
Directions:
1) In food processor, pulse all ingredients until desired consistency (mixture should stick together at least a little bit, but I make mine stick together a lot). 
2) Transfer mixture to small bowl and set aside. 

~~~~~~

Now for the last step: the low fat guacamole!!! 


I've seen so many bloggers turn to zucchini for a creamy, low fat, delicious guacamole, and I was wondering to myself "well, why not?" I gave the idea a try in my own recipe, and sure enough, SUPER delicious! So here it goes:


Creamy Lowfat Guacamole

Serves 2-4 as a dip OR 10 burritos + a little leftover

Ingredients:
* 1 avocado
* 1 small zucchini
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* 1 small tomato
* 1/2 clove garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup chopped green onion
* small handful cilantro (or more, to taste), minced
Directions:
1) In food processor, mix the avocado and zucchini together until desired creaminess (I like little bits of zucchini for texture, but that's totally your choice).
2) Add remaining ingredients and keep pulsing until everything is evenly combined.

~~~~~~

How to Assemble the Burritos:
1) Get a chard leaf (at least the size of your hand), fill with lots of rice, a sprinkling of walnut meat, and a dollop of guacamole (don't put too much or else you can't fold it).
2) Fold in the stem and the opposite side, then tuck one edge and roll it into a burrito/wrap.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Wow, those BROWNIES were so good though (have you gotten the hint yet? Check out the recipe! ^_^). They actually don't taste like brownies, according to my mom and dad. To them the squares tasted more like "sweet, delicious chocolatey date bars". Hey, that still tastes good, so there's still no excuse for you not to make them. Can't have gluten? They're gluten free. Well, what do you know? You can still make them. 

Ok, I'll stop pestering you, sorry.. I can get carried away with these plant rants sometimes... 

Here's how I decorated my brownie:


And here's the aftermath after we attacked the dessert plate:


Ok, I think I've made you drool enough today, no? 

I hope you guys try ALL of these recipes (the tea, the brownies, the "burritos") and let me know what you think. ;)

Happy mother's day!!

Much love,

Natalyn

My mom and I












2 comments:

  1. The original recipe for this is great, but I've made an alternative to have cinnamon to go with the sweet potato and cayenne pepper to go with the cocoa. What do you think of my video recipe?

    http://www.nestandglow.com/healthy-recipes/sweet-potato-chocolate-brownie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds really interesting! I would have never thought of adding cayenne. Great video. :)

      Delete