Sunday, April 7, 2013

What to do with Leftovers + My Cleanse

Hey everyone!

So, I was actually going to write this on Friday, but I decided to wait until today.

Anyway, so on Friday, I was wondering "man, what should I make for my parents for dinner??" I looked into the fridge: leftover black lentils, ezekiel bread, carrots, fresh baby spinach, some leftover hummus. Then it hit me! I could make a leftovers meal and yet make it seem like I had just freshly made it from scratch.

So I got to work on making mini bread bowls to showcase this beautiful soup my mother made:


Unfortunately, no recipe for that today. My mom is the kind of person who just "throws this and that" into the pot and magic just happens. *shakes head in pure jealousy* 

Back to my story. I started heating up the soup, then I got some plain ol' ezekiel bread...


Whipped up a couple other things, and....


BAM! 

Wait, those... are... leftovers?

^_^

Here's how to make those cute mini bread bowls - it's super easy. For the first time ever, I'm giving you a picture tutorial:

CUTE MINI BREAD BOWLS FOR LEFTOVER SOUP

Serves a light meal for 3.

Step 1:
3 pieces of desired bread - I used ezekiel bread

Step 2:
I kind of cut the bread into an octagon of sorts, as you can see here. Save the leftover crust.

Step 3:

Flatten bread with fingers.

Step 4:

Press into muffin/cupcake pan. I used REGULAR muffin pan.. not the mini cupcake one.
Step 5: 

Bake in oven for 400 F for 5-10 minutes until bread has reached desired crispness (I only did 5 minutes)


And there you have it: Simple Mini Bread Bowls.


Here is the garnish I used:

Perfect! By the way, this is also a leftover sitting in my pantry.
Here's what I did with the leftover bread crusts:

Toasted bread crusts with amazing garlic dip (also a leftover)

And here's what I did with that leftover hummus:

Hummus + Carrots = Heaven
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Well, that's it for recipes today - well, that wasn't necessarily my recipe. Just an idea, really. Will I put it into my recipes? Yes, of course I will. :)

Alrighty, this week, I don't think I will be making any recipes, because I'm going to attempt a cleanse for the week. I've mentioned in my "Wholesome Diets" page of this blog that one of my very favorite lifestyles is the 80/10/10 low fat raw vegan diet. It's like an eternal detox, and fruit is your main calorie source. Can it get better than that? 

Obviously I'm not completely raw vegan at this time (perhaps some other time I will be even closer to 100%, but I'm not too worried about it), but sometimes I like to give my body a cleanse, whether it be juicing, smoothies, raw food, or all three of those. 

So just know that most likely, I will not be posting this week about recipes. If I do post, they will be 80/10/10 raw vegan recipes! Woohoo! *fist pump* 

I've posted a couple low fat raw vegan recipes already, and I just want to emphasize that these are for EVERYONE. I get so frustrated when vegans, meat-eaters, vegetarians, etc. get so segregated about recipes. "Oh, this is for vegans. Let me find a "real" version for me since I'm not vegan." <-- RAWR! Don't think about it this way! Instead, go on a little adventure - try something new. You might like it!! And let me add... you do not have to become a lifestyle to try a recipe from that lifestyle.

Challenge for the week: Try a new recipe - something you usually don't do. Never had a raw vegan recipe (besides salad)? Give it a whirl. See what you think. Are you a meat eater and really want to make a recipe with meat? Maybe try a paleo recipe. Or challenge yourself even more... a vegetarian recipe. Not a salad. Like, a main course. Vegetarian food can be so freaking delicious!!!!

Ok, I gotta go. I got a long day today (working all day), so I will talk to y'all later. I hope you enjoyed the bread bowl idea!!

Much love,


~ Natalyn 







No comments:

Post a Comment