Thursday, April 4, 2013

Spring in a Salad Bowl

As Fullyraw Kristina* loves to say... "ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?"

Seriously, guys, are you ready for this super simple, elegant, lemony-minty fresh salad with daikon radish, sweet apples, bright orange carrots, and delicate nasturtiums?


"Whaaaat? Are those FLOWERS?" You ask.

Indeed they are, I reply. ;)

And they are edible **. Ahh... nasturtiums. I'm not sure how many people know about these spicy little gems. They come in a variety of colors, as you can see from the picture. They have a very unique flavor, as the leaves have a subtle buttery flavor, but the middle of the flower is extremely peppery. It's quite a treat, and adds a rather gourmet air to any dish. Don't you agree??


Don't have nasturtiums? Good news: this salad is still super delish and just as fresh and beautiful! 


See? No flower, and still looks like a big bowl full of spring!

Ok, I get it - too much talk, eager for recipe, I'm coming... I'm coming! Geez. Be patient. ;)


Fresh and Elegant Spring Salad

Serves 1-2 as a meal, 3-5 as a small side

Ingredients
* 1/2 medium daikon radish, sliced into thin rounds (or half circles, shapes, etc.)
* 1 organic pink lady apple, chopped into thin and uneven shapes
* 1 organic carrot, sliced into thin rounds
* 1 organic gala apple, " "
* lots of fresh organic spinach (or baby spinach)
* 15 leaves fresh peppermint, chiffonade-cut

Dressing
* simply the juice of 1/2 lemon

Optional garnishes:
* nasturtium flowers (amazing)
* sprouts
* fresh strawberries
* herbs like basil, lavender, even sage
* anything that reminds you of spring! 

Directions:
1) Mix all ingredients in bowl, then add the lemon juice. 
2) Cut the mint, mix it in thoroughly. 
3) Add any additional garnishes of choice, and then dig in!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Did you notice how many times I said the word "fresh" in this post? Or "spring"? That's because I was trying to emphasize how much this salad has those words written all over it. Also notice that the dressing is simply the juice of half a lemon... Things don't have to be complicated to taste good. Sometimes the best stuff is the simple stuff. 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy this wonderful salad. Please do give it a try. It makes such a wonderful appetizer, side salad, or even a meal if you're feeling like something fresh, slightly sweet, and colorful (not to mention something beautiful). 

Now I'm going to sweat to death and cry my eyes out happily attempt the Jillian Michaels 30-day Shred once again. I am already sore after the first day trying it! 

Have an amazing remainder of this week, and I'll talk to y'all soon. Stay tuned for more delicious veggie-packed recipes such as this one.

Peace, love, and SPRING. 

~ Natalyn


* Fullyraw Kristina reference - if you have never heard about Kristina, please visit her Youtube channel, and if you live in (or near) Houstin, Texas, you're in for a treat because she runs a completely organic raw food co-op. 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksghXHasElk  (Kristina's fully raw Spring Salad that inspired me to try my own - thanks Kristina!)

** I did a little research on these guys, and apparently there are different varieties of nasturtiums.. and I'm not sure all of those varieties are edible, but these that I posted are edible and are called "watercress nasturtiums". I'm sure you can find some seeds for this edible variety at your local plant nursery or amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment