Sunday, March 24, 2013

Spring is in the air!

Hey everyone!! Happy spring/Easter (almost)!

Today I went to the farmer's market to grab me some fresh seasonal produce.


Just look at those blueberries. I got them from the farmer's market today. Well, actually my mommy bought them for me. Yippee!! 

Seriously guys, the variety of produce available right now is wonderful! Peas, blueberries, strawberries, asparagus, radishes..

Who wouldn't want to eat this deliciousness??
I've been snacking on peas and blueberries all day. So yummy! 


Ok, so now for the salad: A super light and zesty corn salad.


You weren't expecting that, were you? I must admit, the corn is not seasonal or organic, but my mom had bought some sweet corn from Costco and I couldn't resist. ^_^ 

But anyways, not to worry, because I also incorporated plenty of true spring in this salad. Fresh lemon juice, daikon radish, green onion, and a handful or two of fresh sugar peas. 

The salad obviously has SPRING written all over it. Pastel colors with a pop of bright green from the green onion. And the flavor is just the right amount of zesty and ever-so-slightly savory and sweet. Daikon radish and corn get along much better than I expected! *licks plate*   ...     *eats plate* 


Super Light and Zesty Spring Corn Salad

Serves 4-6 as a side, 1-2 as a meal

Ingredients:
* Kernels from 6 ears of corn
* 1/2 daikon radish, cut into small cubes
* 1 green onion, chopped
* couple handfuls of sugar snap peas (optional)
* juice of one lemon
* 1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil 
* A pinch or three of sea salt  
Directions:
1) Prepare ingredients - to prepare corn without a mess: use a bowl to keep the kernels from flying everywhere. 
2) Combine all chopped up ingredients and sugar snap peas in a medium salad bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, and sea salt, and toss well to combine. 
3) EAT IT UP! :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

One more thing about this recipe: the radish.


The radish - not just any radish.. A daikon radish. This is the first time I have tried one, because I was never brave enough before now. You can find daikon radish at any asian or international food markets, and yes, I have seen some farmer's markets sell them. 

But seriously, people, give it a try. It's VERY mild in spiciness, but generous in flavor. It's also huge (almost as long as my arm), so it might last you a couple days. :)

I usually never like to post recipes with "weird" ingredients.. simply because you would have to hike to the store to get them, and that's time, money, and GAS. 

But the daikon radish is worth becoming a new ingredient in your kitchen, trust me. 

Okie dokie, that's it for today. If you've liked my Facebook page, you may have already seen that mouthwatering tangerine juice recipe I created for my breakfast this morning. Well, no worries, I'm posting that - and running tip #5 - tomorrow! 

Peace, love.. and zesty corn salad!!


~ Natalyn :) 













No comments:

Post a Comment