Sunday, March 31, 2013

Running Tip #6 + Delicious Energy Truffles

Hey everyone!!! 

Before I share the delicious recipes, I would like to share another important tip I've learned in my journey to better fitness. I call these tips "running" tips only because I'm trying to get into running, but again, these tips apply to any type of exercise.

Tip #6: Embrace your situation, whatever it may be.

I know that before I started to strive for daily exercise in February, I was very afraid of trying too many different workouts because I felt like they were "unequal" exercises - in other words, I believed that if I stopped doing them and just stuck to running, I would get super fat (part of my minor eating disorder issues..). Doesn't make much sense, does it?

But our minds do these things to us - they really do. Which is why it's very important sometimes to just ignore these wacky thoughts and just give new workouts a try. Remember, a workout - no matter what type - is still just that: a workout. Calories get burned no matter what, right? It can be pilates, it can be zoomba, it can be dancing, rockclimbing, running. AND doing these types of workouts does not mean that you have given up as a runner. It just means that you're embracing your situation and the resources given to you.

Why is this sixth tip so important, you may ask?

Today, I was planning on running, but then when I woke up, I was home alone. My parents told me they wouldn't be back until 1:00 pm. The first thought that crossed my mind was "SHOOT! How am I going to run this morning??" If you're like me, I absolutely HATE going around my neighborhood when I'm home alone. For some reason, it's so comforting to know my parents are at home while I'm outside working out. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Anyway, it was right after that moment that I realized that there is nothing wrong with working out inside today. I've had workouts where I've simply ran around my house a bajillion times for like 15 minutes, but today, I wasn't feeling that idea. So I went upstairs, turned on my apple TV (a computer works too), and looked for podcasts and Youtube videos that had great workouts. And so began my search for TODAY's perfect workout...

Looks promising...
Nahh. WAY too cheesy.
So I tried Youtube:

She looks fit and all, but I don't see any abs. I want to see abs so that I stay motivated. 
OOH! 
PERFECT!
So I decided a Jillian Michael's workout would give me a running start to my cardio for the week. 

Lasted 15 minutes, and had to take a break!! *sweaty, exhausted*

It was great! I think I'm going to try to finish it now that I have recovered! 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Speaking of recovery, I made energy truffles this morning! They would probably make great pre-workout or post-workout snacks! 



I made two flavors: Spirulina Superfood Dream and Mexican Hot Chocolate Bliss, and to bind and sweeten them, I used plenty of these lovely dates from Costco:

Deglet noor dates

You are free to use Medjool dates, but make sure you put a little less than what the recipe asks for. 

The balls rolled in powder at the bottom are spirulina flavor. The darker chocolatey ones are Mexican hot chocolate flavor!

Spirulina Superfood Dream

Makes 40-50 small energy bites

Ingredients:
* 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
* 3/4 cup oat flour
* 15 deglet noor dates
* 1/4 cup maple syrup
* 1 Tbsp. chia seeds (optional, for energy)
* 1/2 tsp. spirulina powder (optional, adds spirulina flavor and nutrition)
* 1 Tbsp. cacao powder
* 2 Tbsp. roasted salted peanut butter
* 3-4 pinches sea salt
Garnish:
* 3 parts oat flour to one part cacao powder
* sea salt

Directions:
1) Put all ingredients in food processor. 
2) Keep processing/pulsing until mixture forms into a ball of dough.
3) Take out and form into small balls. 
4) Roll the balls in the cacao/oat mixture. Store in airtight tupperware and refrigerate leftovers. 

Mexican Hot Chocolate Bliss

Makes 12-15 small balls

Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup oat flour and cacao mixture (the garnish for the previous recipe)
* additional 1/3 cup oat flour
* 5 deglet noor dates
* 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
* 3-4 pinches salt
* cinnamon, to taste (start with 1/2 tsp.)
* Grade B maple syrup, to bind mixture (maybe start with two tablespoons)
Directions:
1) Put all ingredients in food processor.
2) Keep processing/pulsing until mixture forms into ball of dough. 
3) Take out and form into small balls. 
4) EAT! 
5) Store leftovers in airtight tupperware and refrigerate. 

~~~~

The last recipe is my favorite. It literally tastes like Mexican Hot Chocolate. 

Both of these energy bites sport some fabulous raw ingredients, like freshly ground cinnamon, juicy dates, and raw oat and buckwheat flours. And pink himalayan sea salt. :) 

By the way, I'm sure you can substitute raw honey or agave for the maple syrup. 

...

Ok everyone, I hope you have a happy Easter and a wonderful day! 

I'm going to finish my workout now - wish me luck!!!! *bites nails* 

Much love.... and chocolate!

~ Natalyn 









No comments:

Post a Comment