Monday, March 25, 2013

Running Tip #5, a Story, and Tangerine Pineapple Juice Smoothie

Usually I would post the recipe first, but I wasn't in the mood to do that today. :P

So let's talk about it - Running tip #5: Have a support system.

Friends. Family. Your dog (or other pet). Maybe a person you've never met but always admired... each and every one of us has someone (or a group of people) who inspire us to strive to be our best. 

Well, let me tell you, it is amazing what happens when you develop friendships with people who are always encouraging you to strive for your best in health and wellness. 


Found that picture on Pinterest. :)

Being a budding runner, I share this tip for running, but it honestly applies to all exercise. 

Now, here are my top ways to get a strong support system:
1 Online buddies - I have found that a little encouraging message here and there from my online/texting buddies makes a big difference in my motivation level to exercise for the day.
2 Share with others - more on this in a moment.
3 Accountability buddy - have a reliable friend or two that you can talk to for encouragement when you feel down (you may want to return the favor and do the same for them - which strengthens both your desire to workout AND your friendship).
4 Youtube/blogs/pinterest/tumblr/etc. - this one works wonders for me. Although, be careful. It's easy to get feel-good feelings from reading so many running quotes and using the good feelings as an excuse not to exercise. 

Those are my top four.. but out of all of them, tip #2 is hardest to put into one sentence. So let me share with you a little bit of my story so far...

   Since the summer of 2012, I've been on my own journey in finding out what true health and wellness means. I must admit, the journey has been hard. I've been through all sorts of extremes and painful moments to get to where I am right now, and I still have a long way to go.
   Nonetheless, there are two amazing people who have stuck with me and put up with me through it all (and more) - my parents. I remember the first night my life changed that summer... little did I know I would inspire them to change theirs. This was my own journey, and I had not expected for them to follow me, but they have - today, our kitchen is always stocked with fresh fruits and veggies (some even from the garden!). Always. 
   That kitchen - and our perspectives on healthy living - did not become like that overnight. Rather, it is the result of those little, seemingly unimportant moments when I would excitedly show my parents that organic apples taste loads better than store-bought, or when we celebrated our very first completely organic salad from our own garden (that was the best salad we had ever eaten). Or when we would sit together watching a documentary on wholesome food. We have laughed, cried, suffered, and celebrated the small moments to get to where we are today. And it all started with a small desire in someone else to share, which created a small desire in me to share, which created a small desire in my parents to share.. and now we're getting people telling us that they are inspired to eat healthier too!  
   Let's get to the exercise part of this story, though. Now that I am eating better and better each day, I am really putting extra effort to work on my exercising habits.. they are not consistent yet, and that's a problem for me. I've been trying to get consistent exercise ever since last summer, but it would always be in "chunks". For a couple weeks, I would be great, and then I would fail and give up for a while, thinking my efforts were a waste. At the same time, every time my parents (I shared all my exercise success and fail stories with them) saw me try so hard to workout consistently, they became more encouraged to work out more. 
   Now, my perspective of working out has changed a lot from what it used to be. Nonetheless, I continue to lack consistency. Yesterday, I got up and completely forgot about working out. Plumb forgot. Even when I finally did remember, marathon running sounded far away to me, and I felt like putting off that dream until "tomorrow". Then my mom came up to me and said, "Let's eat, go to the farmer's market, and then we'll come back and go RUNNING!" Now a little background info - I have NEVER seen my mom running or jogging around. Never. She was willing to go running with me + she encouraged me when I lost my desire to pursue my dreams. 

So guess what we did? My mom, my dad, and myself... went running! 

My dad took that picture. We ran to a nearby park and then did some strength training. And then we ran back. Best workout ever! And want to know something funny? They did better than me!! I was so proud of them, and they told me they were super proud of me. I love those two. 


So yes, that's my tip of the day: Get a support system! Need an online buddy? Like my Facebook page (Natalyn in the Raw) and send me a message! I love when my readers talk to me about their goals, desires, and tips for healthy living. 

~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~   ~

Ok, ready for this??


BAM! 

Is that a delicious change of subject or what?!?!

I like to call this drink a "juice-smoothie". It is the perfect thickness (a little bit thicker in consistency than juice), and it's slightly cold and super refreshing on a beautiful spring day! 

This is the juice that fueled my mom, dad, and me when we went running later that morning. And let me tell you, that was some tasty fuel.


Pineapple Strawberry Tangerine Juice Smoothie

Serves 3 

Ingredients:
* 16 oz. tangerine juice (10-15 tangerines)
* 1/3 pineapple or 1.5 cups chopped pineapple
* 5 strawberries
Directions:
1) Juice tangerines with an orange juicer.
2) Put all ingredients in vitamix and blend until smooth. 
3) Fuel up! 


Enjoy the running tip and the smoothie, and I'll talk to y'all very soon! 


Much love 

~ Natalyn




No comments:

Post a Comment