Monday, February 18, 2013

Step One: Step Out the Door

Hey you! Hope you are having a marvelous Monday so far (I know, only 8:00 in the morning - but hey, it's possible)! 

A little recap of yesterday morning:

Wake up. Stare in mirror at that belly that never goes away. Dream about marathon racing. Shrug shoulders and shuffle downstairs for breakfast of mango and bananas (and some sweet potato with maple syrup and stevia. Mmmm...). Go online to blog surf. Go to Pinterest while thinking about running. Searching "running quotes". Found this:


This quote means a lot to me because I am a VERY into the "All-or-Nothing" mentality (which I'm trying to stop), and this quote argues that if you aim to give your all, you don't have to quit if you mess up or miss a day. 

Isn't that GREAT news? Well, usually I would immediately argue back, "Well, it's easier said than done!" It's discouraging to be so pumped up to do something and then EVERYTHING seems to go against your new decision. Well, that's the nature of change - it makes you feel like you're swimming upstream. That can be daunting. 

But yesterday, I decided I had the last straw. I asked myself what were my most important health goals I would like to work toward, and I decided on these top two:
1) I would like to have a consistent exercise routine from this point forward.
AND
2) I want to start on my journey to health with a clean slate.

I decided that these goals are SO connected that I would need to develop a grand plan for myself so that I wouldn't give up. 

So, first off, I wanted some encouragement and motivation, so I found as MANY running quotes as I could on Pinterest, and absorbed their encouraging words like a sponge. Then, pumped up and ready to go, I drove over to the University track and did a light 15 minute cardio. Just like that. Didn't think about it - I just went. My body felt amazing, even though my mind protested.


Anyway, after this, I got home and I thought about my goals again. How could I start on my journey to health with a clean slate? With a CLEAN BODY. Brilliant! A juice fast! Juicing is so good for the body. I've read so many things about it - cleansing, detoxing, altering tastebuds, filling body with nutrients quickly and efficiently. 



I went on Youtube, saw a guy who did a 100-day juice fast. I was set on my new plan: I wanted to start my own juice fast - don't worry, it's not 100 days... I don't think I could endure that long, to be honest. Anyway, I wanted to have a consistent workout schedule while I was doing this juice fast. But then, all of a sudden...
"What are you thinking, Natalyn?" my mind asked me. "Aren't you a bit extreme doing this?" I was afraid. I didn't know what the future would hold - but then again, who does know what the future holds? Questions whirled around in my head: "Are you sure you want to do this?" "What if you faint during class?" "What if you miss the best food ever because of your stupid juice fasting?" 

After long thought, I pushed the thoughts aside, and I wrote a little contract of sorts for myself. In it, I outlined my plan for the "perfect" juice feast. Then I made a vow at the end of it, and signed my name at the bottom. In marker. Just like that. 

MY PROGRESS
I juiced for dinner. I woke up this morning, spent some time with my amazing God, then shuffled downstairs and made a juice for breakfast. 

Here's the recipe, in case you want to give it a try (even for one meal - you don't have to commit like I did to start juicing):

Simple Tangerine Celery Juice
Serves 1

* 4 fresh organic tangerines
* 3 stalks organic celery
* generous snip of wheatgrass (optional)

Directions: Run ingredients through your juicer. Mix well, and enjoy!

Warning - drinking this juice is not for the purpose of pleasing your taste. It's a cleansing juice. It helps you associate eating and drinking with how you feel rather than what it tastes like. 

ONE MORE THING before I get to my main point. I am NOT a doctor or even a certified nutritionist. Some of the things I do on this blog are simply because I am experimenting, so please do not try doing something as extreme as I'm doing without first consulting your doctor. A long juice fast is not for everyone, and it needs to be done for the right reasons.


So my advice for the day: Take the hardest step now, which is OUT THE DOOR.

To take a step out the door, you got to push those "all or nothing" thoughts aside, and as Nike says so well, "Just do it."

Here's to good health... and good juice!

~ Natalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment