Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Step 3: Obstacles Happen... React Appropriately.

Hey y'all..

So, I sit here in my fatigued body, writing this post as I sniffle, clear my throat, cough, and restrain from talking - I don't know how it happened, but I got SICK.

After hours of opera practice practically every day and after many late nights from homework, my immune system had it's last straw. I knew the minute I got home last night that it wasn't going to be a fun night.

So I decided that for now, a long juice fast isn't what my body needs right now. It was painful to realize this, as I really wanted to look back and say "hey, I did this many days of juice fasting!" But perhaps, this is not the time for me to leap at such a challenge when the weather is cold and rainy, I'm too busy to always sleep early, and when there's a sickness lingering around campus.

Usually, if an obstacle comes one's way, the best reaction is to jump over it and keep going. But in this context, the wise solution was to stop altogether, break the fast properly, and celebrate in what I did learn in the last three days of juice fasting.

1) I learned that three days of strict juice fasting is tough!

2) I came to appreciate certain fruits and vegetables that I had never wanted much of before (a perfect example: pears. I didn't like pears before my juice fast, and now I'm head over heels with them!)

3) I learned patience in preparing meals (I couldn't eat the food until I juiced it, so I had to overcome temptation to take a big bite out of a fruit or veggie).

4) I learned how to listen to my body better - it was amazing, I just knew when to stop drinking juice, and my body would tell me a couple hours later that it was ready for the next load of nutrients.

Anyway, I decided I still want to keep the juicing page for now, and don't worry, I'll still post my delicious juice recipes!!!

In fact, I have two more (from yesterday) that I would like to share with you:

Juice #1: Love Potion

Love Potion Juice
Ingredients:
* One small beet
* One tangerine (or small orange)
* One gala apple
* 2 leaves purple kale
* 2 stalks of celery
* One carrot
* short, finger-sized knob of fresh ginger
Directions:
Run ingredients through juicer, then mix well. Enjoy love's sweetness!

Juice #2: Sweet Refresh 


Sweet Refresh Juice
Ingredients:
* 2 tangerines
* 1 cucumber
* 1 pear
* small chunk young thai coconut meat (optional)
* 1/4 cup coconut water
Directions:
Run all ingredients through your juicer (except for coconut water). Serve in glass, add coconut water, mix well. Enjoy!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Step 3 Applied to Exercise

So right now, I'm trying to figure out: to run, or not to run... that is the question. I'm observing my obstacle - I'm sick, and trying to rest my body - and seeing what would be the best way to react to it. 

Because I need to rest my voice and my body to get better as soon as possible, I'm not going to do much working out today. 
No, I'm not giving up - I'm listening to my body. As soon as I get better, I will bring the exercise right back into my life. 

Please, if you read this, don't think that you have to make the same decision - your situation may be different than mine, and who knows? I may be making the wrong decision. This is my health journey that I'm sharing with you, so remember I'm not perfect. 

Anyway, I hope you thoroughly enjoy those juicing recipes! I know I did!


Much love, 

~ Natalyn

No comments:

Post a Comment