Monday, September 10, 2012

Rice pilaf

Rice pilaf! Rice pilaf! Rice pilaf! ...


Well, those are the noodles. Later, I'll show you a picture of the actual rice. This recipe was loosely following a recipe for rice pilaf that I remember trying a year ago. You see, I had this packet of short noodles and at the back of the package was a recipe. At that time, I used real butter. It was so delicious, but I felt guilty eating it because of the fatty, processed butter I used.

Well, you can have your food and eat it too, you know! Today I have officially healthified that rice pilaf! I replaced the processed white rice with whole grain brown rice, and I swapped the butter with Earth Balance butter.


Healthy Rice Pilaf 

Serves 6 (half recipe serves a nice little meal for 4)

Ingredients:
* 2 cups basmati brown rice (I use the Trader Joes variety that they import from India)
* 4 cups water (or whatever amount of water you use for your basmati brown rice)
* 1 heaping tablespoon Earth Balance (you can use olive oil too)
* 3/4 cup short spaghetti noodles - fideos, I think they're called
* 2 tsp. cumin
* sea salt, to taste

Directions:
1) In a very large saucepan (or medium rice pot), bring water to boil. Flavor water with salt and olive oil if you'd like. Add your rice and let the water start boiling again. Mix your rice, and once the water is boiling again, cover and put heat on low. Set timer for 40 minutes.
2) In a medium frying pan, add the olive oil and let it heat up a bit. Add noodles, and stir frequently for about 2 minutes. Let sit for 30 seconds. Start stirring again and continue this pattern until noodles are golden brown and smell buttery, NOT BURNT. Remove from heat and set aside.
3) At the 20 minute mark, add your noodles to your rice and stir the rice. Cover again and let the rice cook for the remaining 20 minutes.
4) After those 20 minutes have passed, remove from heat, uncover, and fluff with fork or serving spoon. Add cumin and salt as needed, and mix thoroughly. Let cool for 10 minutes or so.
5) Eat, my child. Eat.

I hope you enjoy it - I know I did! ;)

Much love,


~ Natalyn

1 comment:

  1. *Note: You can also use Earth Balance butter instead of olive oil :)

    ReplyDelete