Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Eco-friendly is caring for your body

Hello, my friends!

Today's my birthday!! Woohoo!

To celebrate, I just want to focus on one of my favorite subjects: going green.

Oh yeah, I know some of you might be groaning right now. Here comes the guilt trip, you're thinking. She's gonna rant and rave about global warming and about not using plastic and about recycling or else all the trees are gonna die!!!

...

No, I'm not. I'm going to talk about you. That's it. You know why?

By caring for your own body, you are doing your part to help this planet recharge. :)

Let me explain using my own experience:
When I first became more health-conscious, I still used the same ol' products I've always used: shampoo, lotion, nail polish, cheap makeup, heavy duty cleaners - you name it. But as I continued researching about good health and good food, I would stumble upon topics such as the parabens in lotions and shampoos or the horrible animal testing many products must go through.. And I really cared. I wanted to show that I cared, so much. But, like many of us feel sometimes, I didn't know where to start. And everything natural looked so expensive! But then I saw something very enlightening for me.. Of course it came from Raw Food, Real World by Sarma Melngailis and Matthew Kenney - that's one of my favorite books!

Sarma says that she learned to wear only what she could eat (and she's talking about lotion, shampoo, etc. not clothes! Please don't imagine someone wearing a dress made out of fruit).

What I learned from reading this is that you don't necessarily have to buy extravagant things to go green . I have replaced my lotion with coconut oil. I also use coconut oil as a mini detox of sorts (google "oil pulling". It's quite fascinating), mouthwash, scar-remover, and a supplement for my pets. Coconut oil is my hero! I have also slowly been replacing my old makeup with more natural makeups, and I feel so much more radiant when I wear it. My room has a section for regular trash and a separate basket for recyclables such as plastic, paper, etc. The same goes for the kitchen - we don't throw plastic wrappers in the trash anymore. We put all plastic, glass, and cans in our separate recycle bin. I also have a box labeled "Hazardous waste" for things like old, sticky nail polish, toxic materials, and other toxic stuff.

Now please do not think I am trying to boast. Boasting is not my intention whatsoever. I'm simply trying to show you that by caring for my own self, I have automatically been caring more for the planet. I use coconut oil because I know that my body will thank me now and in the long term. I recycle because I know that I will live in a cleaner, healthier environment. I have a hazardous waste box because I know that if I mindlessly throw those toxic things in my regular trash can, I will be affected in the long term. I will be breathing the chemicals. I will be less healthy. And why just accept that when I can do better for my own body?

Let me repeat what I said earlier: By caring for your own body, you are caring for the planet.



Because let's face it - we are all in the same planet. If we try to care for everyone else when we can't even care for ourselves,  how do we expect to do it?

Focusing on a healthy you is not selfish. It's thoughtful, for you, for the trees, for the endangered species, for the abused animals, for the poor families, for the small businesses... Since I'm a Christian, and since this is a free country, AND since it's my birthday (teehee), I would also like to remind my brothers and sisters in Christ (that means all of you) that God has given us a responsibility to our Earth. But also remember the verse "Love your neighbor as yourself?" Well, my point here is that you need to love yourself before you can love your neighbor.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. I hope it helps take away any intimidation, worry, or question you had about going green.

Much love,

~ Natalyn



No comments:

Post a Comment