Friday, July 27, 2012

Cheezy Quesadillas and Mexican Hot Chocolate. ^_^

Oh my gosh.

I've been striking gold lately. Why are certain healthy foods combined together sooooo delicious??????

I don't even want to talk about my day, I just want to share:

Mmmmmmm... hot quesadillas fresh from the pan...

   Inspired by Yum Universe's vegan black bean and kale quesadillas (Which by the way, also look AMAZING), I decided to try my own variation, minus the black beans, adding my own recipe for cheesy sauce and a tangy chipotle dipping sauce. It's very simple, very delicious - the best combo.
   By the way, do not be  intimidated by the kale in this recipe. It tastes so amazing when you cook it, trust me. It's also super duper nutritious - anti-inflammatory and packed with protein!

:D :D :D Here it comes!!!!!

Nat's Cheesy Kale Quesadilla

Serves 1

Ingredients
* 1 sprouted grain tortilla (or whole wheat, or gluten free)
* 1 large leaf of kale (I use lacinato)
* 1/4 cup cilantro
* 1/4 cup almond milk
* 1 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (can be found at a health food store near you)
* 1/2 tsp. tahini (or unsweetened peanut butter)
* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. potato flour
* pinch of sweetener (very important)
* 1 heaping tsp. coconut oil

Directions
1) Chop kale and cilantro into bite-size pieces. Set aside in small mixing bowl.
2) Place remaining ingredients except for coconut oil in blender and blend until pretty smooth. If there are a few clumps of potato flour, don't worry about it.
3) Pour cheesy sauce in the small mixing bowl you set aside. Massage the cheesy sauce into the kale and cilantro mixture.
4) Spread the cheesy kale on half of the tortilla. I like to spread the remaining cheese sauce on the rest of the tortilla. <3 so delicious.
5) Heat up the coconut oil in a medium frying pan until completely melted to liquid form. Add quesadilla and let sizzle for 1 minute. Flip with tongs and let the other side sizzle in the coconut oil goodness.
6) Serve warm with your favorite dipping sauce or salsa.



The great thing about these recipes is that you can easily double or triple or quadruple them. This is great for a dinner party, either as an appetizer or the main course! It also makes a wonderful, healthy after-school snack for your kiddos. Who can resist the cheesy, buttery flavor of these kale quesadillas? I know I can't. Neither can my mom, my dad, or my boss - even her baby boy approved of them!

                                                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, now for the recipe I promised:



Delicious, warm, raw, Mexican hot chocolate. Wait... warm and raw? Aren't those two oxymorons? Not so! The definition of raw varies, but many say - and I believe - that any fruit, veggie, nut, or grain is raw as long as it hasn't been cooked above 104 degrees Farenheight. Isn't that great news??

I got the idea for this hot chocolate recipe at Mama Pacha Raw Vegan Restaurant. Oh my goodness, it was so fun!! It is the first raw restaurant I have ever been to. Everything there is 80% + raw.

                                                  


It's such a homey, modern, down-to-earth- atmosphere there. Lovely flowers in simple glass vases, polished wooden tables and seats, and an open kitchen (I got to watch them make my food from where I sat). Here is the stuff my family and I enjoyed:


              




                        








It was all so delicious. And I was the one who wanted Mexican Hot Chocolate:



Their recipe is sooooo good. My recipe is different, but it tastes almost identical to theirs, according to my mom and dad. Yay!!! But yeah, I added some things in. I have decided that for this recipe, the credit goes to Mama Pacha Cafe, because they are awesome and no-doubt make the BEST hot chocolate I have ever tasted in my life! <3



Raw Mexican Hot Chocolate - Nat's Variation

Serves 1

Ingredients
* 1 cup almond milk
* 1/2 cup dates, soaked 15-30 min. - if you sub carob for chocolate, only use 2 dates
* 1/4 cup cashews, soaked 30 min. (cashews are optional)
* 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder OR 1 Tbsp. carob powder
* 1 to 2 tsp. ground cinnamon (according to your taste)
* 1/2 tsp. natural vanilla extract
* pinch nutmeg
* pinch cayenne pepper
* pinch salt

Directions
1) Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
2) If you have a Vitamix, you can continue blending until mixture is warm. If you don't, pour mixture into a super small saucepan and heat very little, until warm.

Seriously, try this one. It's soooo good. ^_^

I think I'm going to post this recipe next:



Goodbye for now!

Much love,


~ Natalyn <3 <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment